Friday, July 11, 2008

Phone calls.

So living where I work is mostly a great thing but one of the things not so great about living in my building is that my business phone rings in my house. Everyone I know knows this but customers don't always think about things like this and why would they? I know I have called a business before to find out their hours.
Mostly when people call and I answer they are surprised but we work it out and if I can't help them with something because I am making supper and can't get to the shop I just tell them to call back. On occasion however it is strange. Like once the phone rang at about 11:30 which always freaks me out and I woke up an answered it thinking something happened to someone. Nope. Just a drunk lady who wanted to chat about my store and what I have and then got angry when I asked her to call back the next day. Not just angry but mean saying things like well if you won't tell me what you have in your store I guess I'll never go there. I did calm her down and needless to say I am quite certain she never did visit Persimmons.
Well this morning at 5:15...yea 5:15 someone called. We didn't get out of bed in time to answer before the machine picked up so the guy left a message. The message was for Joyce and he was thanking her for helping him out but he is having some issues right now and can't pay her back. Ok you are calling Joyce at 5:15 to tell her that? By the way I am Kim not Joyce.

8 comments:

OMB said...

You were nice to talk to that lady. I will keep this post in mind. I work night shift and often call some businesses in the middle of the night.

RustChic said...

i love your shop
love looking at the pics and wishing we had a similar set up

by the way, our number used to be one off from both dominos pizza and la quinta inn. it was crazy, especially after katrina
can never ever again patronize those establishments

melroska said...

My house phone is not my business phone, but we get tons of wrong numbers at inopportune times. Most are credit agencies. Fun!

Maria said...

Well, maybe you sound like a Joyce - maybe that's why he left the message. Or is it the hubby's voice on the message?

You should probably start dialing numbers similar to yours until you find Joyce and then you could pass along the guy's message.

When we got our first phone, back in the late '50's we were one number off from the pizza joint. Guess what kind of calls we got later in the evening. Mostly guys with a few too many beers in them wanting a large cheese and sausage with extra sausage - ha ha. My Mom instructed us that we should give them the correct number to call, but if they cursed at us we should politely take their pizza order and then hang up. And you know, Mom's always right!

Kate said...

Gotta love people...

David said...

I'm sorry...sometimes when I'm inebriated at 5:15 in the morning I mistakenly think that your name is Joyce. It's one of those mnemonic things. But I thought you'd be up making bacon and eggs for Glenn at that time anyway.

tina kugler said...

our home number is one off from my hair stylist, whose name is also tina. i've had her MOM leave a message on our machine (?? hi our husbands have different names) and also i recently got an early morning call from a panicky lady (asking for tina of course) frantically demanding to know if i could come in early to work. i thought one of my co-workers had been, like, in a horrible accident or something. then she (frantically) starts complaining how she can't do a THING with her hair...um, calm down and dial the right number, honey.
p.s. kim, joyce, whatever.

Unknown said...

just shut off the ringer on your business phone at night and turn down the answering machine volume. we live in a tiny condo and the ringing wakes up our kids -- that's what we do and it works